Quality #4: Enthusiasm
Strike a superhero pose.
Put some pep in your step.
If you’re rolling your eyes at the cheesiness, that’s understandable.
What is there to get excited about during an ongoing pandemic?
What is the point of having enthusiasm if it’s not part of your original disposition?
Even if you need to keep a cool head and be rational as a trader, there’s always a time and place for ENTHUSIASM!
In fact, it’s required if you want to succeed as a trader.
After all, doesn’t the thought of cashing out big profits and earning your financial freedom excite you?
Why So Serious?
If your answer is no, then your head is not in the right place. If you are struggling to muster any enthusiasm about your journey as a trader, then it’s time to reflect on the cause of your reservedness.
Maybe it’s the projections of doubt and fears of negative people in your life when you told them you wanted to be a day trader.
“Oh…really? That sounds really risky…”
“Oh…I couldn’t do that. Having to look at charts all day? Not me…”
Blah. Blah. Blah.
Or maybe you’re stressed about life in general.
Whatever it is… simply ask yourself:
“Are these obstacles in my control? Yes or no?”
If it’s no, there’s no point stressing about it. If it’s yes, then you can do something about it.
It’s as simple as that!
How to Foster Enthusiasm
If you want to be more enthusiastic, then act enthusiastically.
Even if you woke up with nothing to be excited about, there are plenty of moments and opportunities that allow you to display it.
Here are just a few examples:
- Act silly: take time to act silly and be comedic in response to certain situations. Just imagine yourself as a really funny and zainy character in a comedy show and think of how they’d respond in certain situations. For example, if you’re microwaving your food, you can start dancing in excited anticipation for the fact that you’re about to eat. Or if your partner or spouse gave you some good news, you can do a Mickey Mouse impression while you cheer for him or her. It may seem ridiculous, but not taking yourself seriously at certain moments can really lighten your mood and endear yourself to others. Don’t care about how it looks. Enthusiasm through exaggeration and silliness is a good way to foster that mindshift.
- Do your favorite activities: Find time to do some of your favorite activities or hobbies. Doing your favorite things and getting better at them allows for much enthusiasm. As time passes, you’ll realize you’ve read a lot more books in the past year than you did your whole life. Take excitement in the progress you’ve made at getting more fit with your workouts. Grin at the fact you got to travel and that led to some of the best memories in your life.
- Avoid clutter and get into Feng shui: Sometimes your lack of enthusiasm can be a direct result of your environment. Just as a trader needs to think with a clear space, he or she will need a clear space. Get rid of the clutter and clean the space where you work. This is where you’re going to spend a majority of your time trying to close out the best trades. Create a space where you can feel proud to set foot in. Get into Feng shui or Chinese geomancy. It may be pseudoscience. But the purposeful and specific placement of things to perfectly harmonize yourself and your environment holds a lot of weight. So get all the string lights, art, and succulents and place them as perfectly as you can. Hire a Feng shui consultant or interior decorator if you need to. Unashamedly, it’s also a great way to score brownie points with a date you bring home for the single folks out there. Now that’s some enthusiasm for you.
- Visualize your future success: Think of your most outrageous success as a trader and what that looks like. Are you finally a recognized expert in your field speaking at conventions? Are you soaking in the validation and praise you get from people who want to learn your best trading tips? Even if it feels vain, unrealistic or silly to you, swipe that shame away. You should never feel shame for wanting the best for yourself. Just think of how you’d feel if it came into existence. Think of the joy and pride you’d feel when you can take your family on vacation whenever you please. Or imagine the looks you get when you pull up to that Thanksgiving family weekend in a Tesla. That should excite and motivate you to work toward what you want.
- Talk Passionately about your hobbies: Enthusiasm can be infectious. If what you do happens to get you enthusiastic, share it with anyone willing to listen at parties, online forums. Let them see and hear the enthusiasm coming from you as you talk about that amazing catch you made in your flag football league. Share your day trading 101 tips. See if you can explain margin calls or charts with a sense of humor. It could even be a great way to network with others as well.
There’s Always a Time and Place
Remember, if you’re not the kind of guy to jump and click your heels on a regular basis, that’s perfectly fine. Even if you’re naturally reserved or calm, that doesn’t mean you can’t inject a little enthusiasm into your life.
And, nothing boosts enthusiasm like winning trades…
And so far, Big Energy Profits members have had the opportunity to earn close to $20,000 by trading our daily and weekly ideas.